Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Eat'in Good in Supa's Hood

We were in the grocery store early this evening, like we are four days out of seven, trying to decide what we were going to have for dinner. My son said something about fried chicken, he had been asking me to make fried chicken for weeks. I ended up getting a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs, a large box of macaroni and cheese, and four pieces of corn on the cob. I also picked up a 16 oz. bottle of buttermilk and some caramel pecan turtle ice cream. As soon as we got home I put the chicken thighs in a large bowl and poured the buttermilk over them and sat them to the side to soak. I filled two pots, one large and one medium sized, with water and put them on the stove to boil with the lids on. After about five minutes, I turned the chicken thighs and added salt to each pot of water. A few minutes after that, the water was boiling in the pots. Since I had shucked the corn at the store, I just put all four in the large pot of boiling water. I then proceeded to pour the macaroni into the medium pot of boiling water. Once that was done I produced a large shallow bowl from the cupboard and, with a large fork, drained and placed the chicken thighs in it. I seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Then I turned the thighs and seasoned the other side with salt and pepper only. Next, I produced a medium sized Tupperware container from the cupboard and filled it about a quarter full with all purpose white flour. Once that was done and the chicken was still soaking up the spices, I filled an iron pot with about an inch of oil and placed it on high heat. I checked the macaroni and corn,they were cooking along schedule. Once the oil was, as we say in the Dirty, “Good and Hot” I proceeded to place the chicken in the flour. I could fit about three thighs in the flour at a time. I shook and turned; making sure that there was an even coating of flour on the thighs. Then I placed the thighs into the hot oil. I quickly coated three more thighs with the flour and they joined the previous three in the hot oil bath. It was truly “On and Popp'in!” The corn was done when I checked it next, so I removed the pot from the heat and drained the water off. I then checked the macaroni and it was al dente, just the way I like my pasta. I removed it from the heat and drained the water off of it as well, before adding the cheese sauce. Everything was clicking tonight because as soon as I was done mixing the macaroni the first round of chicken was just past golden brown and ready to come out. I lined a Pyrex bowl with paper towel and placed the chicken in it after draining. I then repeated the previous steps with the next batch of chicken. I was now ready to plate the meal. I place one piece of chicken, one large spoon full of macaroni and cheese, and one buttered piece of corn on the cob on each plate( I broke my little girl’s piece of corn on the cob in half and gave her a smaller portion of macaroni and cheese). I don’t like to toot my own horn, I think that is something for the ladies to do if you know what I mean, but we ate good!!! Not saying that we don’t eat good most of the time, but tonight was special. It reminded me of eating fried chicken at my grandmother’s table back in the day. When you have a meal like that, you can really feel what Soul Food means. And the best part about it was that I produced it with love, from me to my family. After dinner was over and we were all full, I bathed my little girl and put her to bed. My son had his shower while I was cooking, so all he had to do after dinner was brush his teeth and he was off to bed as well. Once they were settled, I made myself some espresso and had a piece of caramel cake that my wife made yesterday with some of that caramel pecan turtle ice cream. I sat back and watched the Dodgers get beat by the Phillies in game four. It was a good night even though I wanted LA to win.

No comments: